Packing and moving can be difficult at the best of times, but moving during a pandemic creates a whole new set of challenges. If you have to move you and your moving company should put health and safety first. We suggest you call your moving company to discuss your options and they should help you plan as safe (and seamless) a move as possible. This may include:
- A virtual survey of your current home and possessions instead of an in-home survey to provide a price estimate.
- Screening their crew for symptoms to ensure health and safety.
- Adding hand sanitizer to all trucks. And, heightened daily cleaning procedures for shared, high-touch surfaces in your homes, on the trucks, and on the equipment.
- Movers wearing gloves and masks.
- Both you and the movers need to observe social distancing. Public health experts still say that social distancing is critical to limiting the spread of COVID-19.
Bonus tip #1: don’t pack the soap! Give your moving crew access to wash their hands with hot water frequently.
Bonus tip #2: pack a box that you keep with you that contains hand soap, hand sanitizer, disinfectant, paper towel, toilet paper, garbage bags, gloves and masks. This way when you are in transit and when you arrive at your new home you are prepared to keep your family safe.
If Your Choose to Cancel Your Move
If you’ve made the decision to postpone your move and need to cancel your moving company – don’t fret. In most cases, booking a moving company is non-binding, allowing you the freedom to cancel at any point prior to your move, without penalty.
However, if your moving company collected a deposit prior to your move, it may be non-refundable. Contact your moving company about your deposit, as many reputable moving companies will make an exception considering the pandemic and either refund the deposit or provide credit for a future move.
If Your Mover Cancels on You
Don’t worry – you have options.
You can move yourself, in your own vehicle. This is the safest option.
You can rent a truck – check with the rental company to make sure they are sanitizing vehicles between renters with a product that is certified by Health Canada to kill corona virus.