Now that the weather is finally nice most of us have the itch to get our campers out, spruced up, and on the road to our favorite camping spot so we can enjoy our summer. Well this season it is looking very different thanks to Covid-19.
Provincial campsites will all remain closed until after a government assessment on June 21, 2020. However, the private camp grounds are under county discretion as long as they comply with rules set out by Alberta Health Services. Here’s what to prepare for this Covid camping season:
- Only Motor Homes and hard sided travel trailers that are completely self contained with an internal water supply, holding tanks and personal washroom will be allowed.
- All public washrooms and shower facilities will be closed.
- Campers will need to bring their own water as there will be no access on site.
- Campground capacity will be limited for purposes of social distancing
- There must be a minimum space of 30ft between camp sites
- No group camping and no co-mingling of campers.
- Campers must disinfect tables upon arrival and departure.
- No garbage collection. Campers will need to take their garbage with them when they leave.
We have found some campgrounds around central and southern Alberta that are following these guidelines and hoping to open to campers June 1.
- Close Drayton Valley we have Elevated Experience Camping 780-542-5821 and Kay-son RV Park 780-514-5969.
- Around Edmonton we have Glowing Embers RV Park & Travel Centre 1-877-785-7275.
- By Rocky Mountain House is Outwest Camping 403-844-3083.
- In Blackfalds Watipi Campground 780-852-6176.
- By Okotoks we have Riverbend Campground 403-938-2017.
- Also, the Hoodoo RV Resort in Drumheller, 403-823-2790. This site is also taking snowbirds and essential workers only until June 1st.
- In Nanton. the Lions Campground, 403-336-9999 will be open.
Let’s not let this discourage us from enjoying one of our all-time favorite summertime traditions, as with like the rest of our lives this is our new normal until we can get this virus under control. Happy camping!
~ Candice Sinclair